Well, the great Apple Pie experiment is over and done with. I got so caught up in making it, that I forgot that I'm not really partial to pie. So what is usually the best part, sitting down and enjoying the finished product wasn't quite the thrill I was hoping. Still, Daniel, who is partial to pie, says that it turned out very well.
This was the first opportunity I had to use our new apple-corer, which I thought would got the way of so many kitchen gadgets - helpful in theory, but doesn't do exactly what it's supposed to and is better at taking up space in your kitchen than at assisting - but I actually found it very helpful and easy to use. Our peeler on the other hand is a piece of crap and was completely useless. Enter JB who peeled all of the apples with a knife in no time flat.
The crust was alright for a first try. I think it would have been much better if I hadn't panicked mid-preparation and added almost twice the amount of water the recipe called for which left it a little tough. Still, it was pretty flaky for an all-butter crust. As I've mentioned before, I'm not a fan of shortening - even though they've come out with zero trans fat varieties, I just don't trust it - which is said to create a flakier crust. Still, I'm sticking with an all butter recipe. A little vinegar helps boost the flakiness.
I also tried my hand at a lattice crust, but I did the lazy-version which isn't a true lattice. It achieved the basic effect, but I think next time I'll go all out and do the more intricate pattern. The pie was quite a project, and I'm really glad I can officially say that I've made a pie from scratch...I just wished I like pie more. And yes, the apples were from the farmers' market :)