Saturday, November 24, 2007

Thankful

Well, we did manage to pull off Thanksgiving, if just barely. Usually my family goes to my Aunt and Uncle's home in Cincinnati for Thanksgiving, which is a blast and a half, but this year between half of us being in Mexico, my mom and Stephanie working, and jb and I being so busy with opening the cafe, we weren't able to get away. Steph worked 12 hour days the day before and the day after Thanksgiving. My mom is a flight attendant and didn't come back into town until Thanksgiving day at 5 pm. Jb and I didn't even realize Thanksgiving was sneaking up on us until Sunday. So it was looking like we might have to cancel Thanksgiving dinner altogether, but at the last minute jb managed to find the last hormone-free, grass-fed turkey in the tri-state and whipped up a spur of the moment feast.

Stephanie, jb, and I headed over the Burgan house in the morning and everyone pitched in to throw together stuffing, apple crisp, mashed potatoes, chocolate pecan pie, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie and all the fixins. It turned out really nice, you'd have never known we threw it all together that day (gives me a lot of hope for the cafe). My mom got home around six and we had a great dinner. The one drawback is that my grandma and other family in the area couldn't join us (apparently my Aunt planned her own dinner that we weren't invited to- ouch). We had a lot of fun, ate tons, played Apples to Apples, and it was great to be frantically working on something aside from the cafe.

As soon as the we slept off the meal, we were back to work with the help of the Burgan clan. After all our worrying about should we or shouldn't we get professional painters - they never showed up. Story of our freakin lives. So we took advantage of the small army that is jb's family and got a solid first coat up. We also managed to get the rest of the furniture for the dining area. We've had to piece things together from thrift stores and sales, but hopefully it will look cozy and eclectic rather than a bunch of cheap garbage thrown together.

I've refrained from blogging about the kittens lately, to avoid the "crazy cat lady" label, but this picture was just too cute not to share. They are more than TWICE the size they were when we got them. We will most likely only have them for another week or so. If anyone is thinking about adopting, these are just the best kittens (and they are great with dogs!).

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11/27/2007

    I miss apples to apples and thanksgiven and yeah the cats got a whole lot bigger

    ReplyDelete