Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Family Farmer

We went to visit my (Great) Uncle Steve this week.  He and my Aunt Rose have perfected the loving but lively long-time married couple bickering shtick.  It's one of my great joys in life to hear their back and forth teasing.  My dad grew up next door to them and I have fond memories of helping my Uncle Steve pick berries and tomatoes on the family farm.  He reminds me every time I visit of how I ate just as many as I picked out there in the field.

At 88 years old he still plants and harvests crops - and every time we come by for a visit he loads us up with fresh and seasonal produce.  This time Uncle Steve mentioned that he had more butternut squash than he knew what to do with and Leo perked right up.  "Butternut Squash?  I loooooove butternut squash!"  So his great-great uncle walked him out to the garage and let him pick out three squashes.  He tossed in an acorn squash and a stalk of brussels sprouts that was as tall as Leo is.  Leo was super excited about taking home the veggies, but I don't think he has any idea how lucky he is to have a personal farmer's market.

No comments:

Post a Comment