Friday, June 19, 2009

End of an Era

Monday was my last day at my job. I'm leaving with mixed feelings - but honestly the bad is quickly fading and I'm feeling very blessed to have worked with so many amazing people.

Unemployment would be awesome if it weren't for the choking panic of not knowing where money is going to come from soon. So far I've watched three seasons of Weeds, gotten a visit from Leslie and Holly, spent some quality time with my mom, worked in my "garden", shopped at the Farmers' Market, watched jb's first firecrackers' game of the season, walked Talula around the (suddenly hopping) park by our house, and made fresh pesto with the basil and parsley plants our neighbor gave us.We had a packed weekend, too. On Friday we went to the MF Urban Garden Party (where I came to terms with the fact that I'm getting too old to party like a rockstar), on Saturday jb and I walked across the bridge to the Three Rivers Arts Festival. We walked around holding hands perusing all the vendor booths then we bought ourselves a feast of over-priced fried festival food and sat on the grass and enjoyed the evening concert. On Sunday (the day before my last day on the job) I staffed what could be my last table at a Pride festival. I feel like a very bad lesbian because, honestly, I hate Pride festivals. I guess I just consider them work - in fact I can't remember the last time I attended one for fun. Usually my festival days consist of 5-6 hours in the sun trying to talk to drunk people about federal legislation - fun - and some years I've attended 5-6 festivals during the month of June. Maybe next year I'll get to actually enjoy a Pride Festival. Well, right now the future is unknown, but the present is pretty good. I ping back and forth between just trying to enjoy having time to myself while trusting things will work out and freaking out at the thought of money running out and having make some major changes to our lives. Right now there's not much I can do beyond get my resume out there and try not to panic. I'm going to visit my family in Mexico since I may not have the time again soon and because tickets are affordable (thanks to the swine flu scare). Hopefully I can make the most of this time and find a new job (or win the lottery) before things get dire.

3 comments:

  1. i'm glad that youre keeping yourselves busy-good luck with everything

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm glad to hear that you guys are keeping yourselves busy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. should i be embarrassed that my 'action' shot is of me sitting, drinking water?

    ReplyDelete