Saturday, April 24, 2010

April Showers bring May Monkeys!

I have been like a sloth lately! I can't believe I've let a whole week go by without blogging about the awesome baby shower my family threw for jb and I last Sunday. It's like the days just slip by before I realize they've even started. I guess that's what being full term is like! 37 weeks tomorrow - officially full term. I can't believe it. I still feel good. Still battling swollen feet (thanks for your concern! - my blood pressure is "fantastic", so it's just unsightly, not dangerous) - in fact I have some new, more impressive pictures, but I can't bear to post them. They really are hideous. Perhaps a little pelvic pain and fatigue - but I'm still feeling pretty darn good. I'm ready for this baby, but not impatient.

Anyway - about our shower - so amazing!! My family and several friends worked really hard to plan and prepare for the event and make it a special day, and it was. Here I am with my siblings before the action started. Muffy (next to me in the picture) is the mastermind behind this awesome day. I promised myself that this time I would remember to take pictures, because at our last shower it was over before I could blink. Of course it happened again - the whole day was a wonderful blur. Luckily both times my sisters managed to grab my camera and snap a few shots.


The shower was held at my parents' home - the house that I grew up in. The whole place was decorated so nicely :)


As party favors my mom and sister made these cute little flower pots with blooms growing in them that said our names and May 2010. So cute and fitting as our loved ones gathered to celebrate our growing family.


I was able to snap a picture of the food table before most of the food was put out - imagine about a zillion more food choices. I didn't get to eat much as I was chatting with our guests (and still feel like I didn't get more than a couple minutes with each person!) but everyone said the food was great!


Of course there was a whole room dedicated to desserts. I'm not gonna lie - I did get my fair share (and then some) from this tabe. There ended up being about five times as many cupcakes as are shown in the picture.


Here is a close up of our cake - so simple and elegant. It was decorated with baby's breath and dogwood flowers from my grandma's house. You can't see the best part, though - it is a red velvet cake! Perhaps the best cake I've ever had!


All of the flowers were from my grandmother's property (My dad was quite the over-achiever with his task of collecting flowers, he cut and brought back enough flowers to fill the whole house). She died a couple of years ago, so it was really nice to have her presence at this celebration.


As you can see, the bulk of the pictures are taken before any guests arrived - but the guests really made the party. We had members from both sides of our family, friends from childhood, friends of my parents that are virtually family, friends from high schoool and college, friends I've met through doula work, friends we met in DC, and of course some of our beloved neighbors. It means so much to have so many people turn out in support of our little family. We feel so loved.


We also got a ton of gifts! This baby is going to have everything it could ever possibly need. From the adorable to the pragmatic - we recieved a carseat (yay! We will be allowed to bring the baby home from the birthing center!), babyhawk carrier, handmade sweater, laundry hamper and clothesline, and a great collection of books and stuffed animals.


I can't believe we are virtually "ready" for this baby. There are still some last minute to-do list items, but overall, if this baby came today - we could handle it. At least theoretically!

4 comments:

  1. Looks like a beautiful shower and it sounds like you were surrounded by lots of people who love you (and this baby!). Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hooray for the shout out! i glad you enjoyed yourself sister

    ReplyDelete
  3. the shower looks wonderful! and that cake? fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that cake was DDDEEEELICIOUS. The pulled pork, tomato/mushroom sautee, ribs, Alberts' salad with homemade dressing, cupcakes, punch, hot dogs, and cream puffs weren't so shabby either, haha.

    Ok, I ate too much.

    ReplyDelete