To celebrate we had Grandpa, Uncle Nick, and Abi over for pizza and cupcakes.
Leo also got his first birthday present - which he kicked around a bit before dinner.It's amazing how much he's developed in this short month.
Some milestones we are pretty proud of:
- We've stuck to the cloth diaper plan. As of today, Leo has never worn a disposable diaper. We can't promise we'll stay purists ;) - but I'm really proud of us for making it this far; especially through those first couple of crazy weeks. Big shout out to jb for doing ALL the laundry.
- I've stuck to (exclusively!) breastfeeding. As of today, Leo has not ingested anything except for my breastmilk. Granted we've had to be creative here and there (nipple shield, pumping and bottle feeding, taking herbal supplements to boost my supply), and we may hit more rough patches that we won't make it through without supplementing, but so far, we are doing it!
- We are getting really good at nursing in public. Just this week, we've had successes both indoors and outdoors. Sometimes we still struggle a bit with the latch-on, but after that we are golden. Despite one or two people giving us the stink-eye, I'm on my way to becoming an all-out lactivist.
- He can lock eyes with you and follow your movement.
- His hair is much lighter - and has some reddish tints in the sunlight (and lots of cowlicks!)
- He is already making his favorites known to us: his favorite book so far is The Very Hungry Caterpillar; his favorite songs are That's Not My Name by the Ting Tings and the Fraggle Rock theme song.
- We are far from a predictable schedule, but there is now hope that one day we might be able to regain some predictability.
- In addition to new cries and non-crying sounds like his 'agoo,' he has begun to ask for food without crying. He'll tug and kick at me, not making a sound, to try to make his needs known.
- Tummy time is yielding some pretty significant head lifting.