Sunday, September 30, 2007

Si Se Puede!

On Friday we finally ended negotiations on our contract! Yay! The 401k foolishness is worked out and I have a new big, bad title. Aside from being relieved that I have a contract - I'm also glad that I officially have some collective bargaining experience under my belt that will give me a little more credibility with my members. Even if my negotiation experience wasn't a particularly contentious one - I still did it - and there were even tears. Although, I think the tears were more of a product of exhaustion than collective bargaining - but whatever.

I love my job and I'm so glad I'm lucky enough to love what I do and also get a decent salary and benefits. Makes weeks like this one not so bad. It has been a long, long week and I'm worse for wear. I started fading on Thursday and now I'm basically just sleep walking.

I'm in SF now for our board meeting - which has basically had to be refocused on the ENDA hijinks that have been happening in DC. It has been a very emotional and trying few days - between internal strategy conversations and coalition disagreements - we have all taken turns crying, raising our voices, and even pounding our fists on a few tables. If we have to face disgusting and shameful situations like this in our movement, I'm at least glad I'm working for an organization on the right side of history. Anyway, I usually try not to talk politics too much on here, but this has basically been consuming my life and there's really nothing else I'm thinking about. Except maybe getting home, but as much as I was looking forward to taking some time off after this trip, I have a feeling shit is going to hit the proverbial fan this week since we called a picket of Nancy Pelosi's Keynote at HRC's national dinner. Wish me luck.

I'm heading back home on the red-eye tonight. I haven't had an opportunity to enjoy SF at all since I've been so busy and beat. Which is just as well because it's freezing and whenever I do drive around the city I get the theme song from Full House stuck in my head.

3 comments:

  1. THe News man, the Paper boy EVENING TV! ..are those the words? well great, whether they are or not... that song will be stuck in my head all day. thanks a lot

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yeah and get a camera!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10/04/2007

    did u go on the sanfrinsico brige with a red convertabe. thanks for making me miss full house they dont have it here what kind of country is this no Full house i mean come on

    ReplyDelete