Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Tubby

So our long and lean (where the heck did he get that from?) baby had yet another weigh in yesterday. I'd mentioned that he hadn't been hitting weight goals, so that's why we've been at the pediatrician's office three times a week.


Initially he lost a good chunk of weight after birth(8 lbs 5 oz to 7 lbs 9 oz), bottomed out for a few days and has since been gaining it back slowly. "They" like to see babies back to their birth weight two weeks after birth, but he didn't quite make it, and was still 4 oz short at the end of last week. So at the start of week three we headed out for our latest weigh in with our fingers crossed. We are pretty familiar with the routine at this point: strip Leo down buck naked, place him in the baby scale and hold our breath biggest-loser-style while the numbers flicker until they land on his weight.

Well, this time the scale stopped at 8 lbs 5.5 oz!! And we don't have to go back until his two month appointment. Leo was so excited that he peed all over jb in celebration.


In other news, our nights are going much more smoothly. We are still taking breastfeeding one day at a time, but we've come a long way. My supply is just barely enough - which means frequent marathon nursing sessions - and therefore ouchie nipples, so I've started taking fenugreek in hopes of increasing my supply and making our routine a bit more comfortable.

Not only have nights been better, but just in the last couple days Leo has had a lot more awake/alert time during the day. He's looking around a lot more and even making non-crying noises - mostly "agoo". It's adorable. The flip side of this heightened awareness is that after a little bit he seems to get a tad over-stimulated and has trouble getting to sleep. It hasn't been too dramatic, as long as we can get quiet and cuddle somewhere familiar. On that note, we've succumbed to the pacifier - and I couldn't be happier about it. I didn't want to use one initially, but now it's a lifesaver when he's fussy and hard to comfort. Hopefully we can use it in moderation.

7 comments:

  1. Does pacifier use lead to thumb sucking?

    I'm still freaked out about the idea of getting spit up on. I know it's just milk...but still.

    And I'm going to try to stop by sometime in the near future to get some more Leo, Sandra, and Jess in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay for hitting that birthweight again!!

    i love the look on jb's face in the pee photo - priceless!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad things are going relatively smoothly. The galactagogue that I like to recommend is More Milk Plus by Motherlove. It is a tincture that works well, tastes awful. (http://www.amazon.com/Motherlove-Herbal-Company-More-liquid/dp/B000E39PQI) I think they sell it at Becoming Mommy.
    -Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad things are going relatively smoothly. I like to recommend the galactagogue More Milk Plus by Motherlove. It is a tincture that tastes nasty but works well. I'm pretty sure they have it at Becoming Mommy. (http://www.amazon.com/Motherlove-Herbal-Company-More-liquid/dp/B000E39PQI)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for weight gain!

    Don't fear the pacifier. There are very few high schoolers using them, so take comfort. I too was anti-pacifier, and when I finally broke down, E wouldn't take one. That is, until he weaned. Then he was all about everyone's pacifier, and spend about a year with binky fever. It passed though, and I don't think we did any permanent psychological or orthodontic harm. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6/12/2010

    He'll probably have a big growth spurt any day now! I hate that we're led to believe the pacifier is evil. Some babies need them and some kids don't. It's not really our choice to make, it's the kid's!

    ReplyDelete
  7. congratulations on the weight gain!

    and do drink as much water as possible. i always noticed positive milk supply effects when i was throwing back the water!

    ReplyDelete